Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ignorance exemplified...

Person: "What do Ethiopians look like? Do they look like us?"

Me: (They have a 3rd eye in the middle of their forehead! What the heck do you mean asking me what Ethiopians look like?!)  Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean.

Person: "Well, you know how it's OBVIOUS your children are from China because they look Chinese? I just didn't know if it was OBVIOUS that your daughter was Ethiopian."

Me: (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, .....) Well, my children are all different ethnicities and they do not look alike; Ethiopia is much the same.  I guess I have never really thought or cared about what they look so I'm not sure how to answer your question.

Person: "Oh, well, congratulations anyway"

I know I live in the South...really, I do.  I also understand that, although this is a stereotype, in my experience, it has been earned.  And I know our choice to follow God's plan for our lives means we will get a lot of stares from strangers who find us to be a novelty or even disgusting.  What I don't know is how people in today's society can be so ignorant of the world we live in.  I also don't know how many times I can count in order to keep myself from turning into the over protective mom who will lash out at anyone who attempts to hurt my children. 

My children, all of them, are amazing gifts from God through fertility or adoption.  They do not look alike but they are all made in His image.  And, I guess if I am honest, so is the ignorant woman who made the comments that almost landed her on her...booty.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, we live in one of the most egocentric countries in the world, and you'll probably deal with more ignorance in the future. The good news is that you hopefully planted a seed that will grow to open her mind in the future! Don't let those people get to you! Your family is perfect!

    ReplyDelete